Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Nipple Chafing and Running: Let's Talk

Andy Bernard from The Office
Photo obtained from here
This post goes out to all the guys out there that do not want to experience the pain Andy Bernard feels every time he goes for a jog (or walk...).


If you've been running for any length of time, then you've probably experienced some type of nipple chafing.  Personally, I only find this to be a problem during really hot, humid days, really wet, rainy days, and on long runs.  While I haven't experienced any bleeding, I have come home to some pretty raw nipples, which can cause an inordinate amount of pain during that post-run shower.  You know what I'm talking about.

So, what are we to do?

I know a lot of people recommend wearing technical t-shirts, but I haven't really found this solution to help that much.  So, the following is a list of potential solutions.  As with everything, you need to experiment and see what works for you.  Here we go:


Scotch Tape
From: scotchbrand.com
Scotch tape: Yep, some people use scotch tape.  I would imagine that if you have even a little bit of chest hair, then this probably isn't the best solution for you!  But if it works, why not, eh?










Bodyglide: Bodyglide seems to be extremely popular among runners.  I use Bodyglide for my nipples on shorter runs, and I use it on other areas that are prone to chafing for my longer runs.  Runningwarehouse.com has the following description of Bodyglide:
Bodyglide
From: runningwarehouse.com


Don't let friction and blisters slow you down. Simply swipe mess-free BodyGlide to chafe-prone areas and get going. Keep a couple canisters at home, in your gym bag or wherever you get ready for your workouts. Protects against blisters, chafing, rash, and rubbing. All-natural non-petroleum base is safe for technical fabrics and wetsuits. Glides on with no mess







Sheer Spot Bandages: I'll be honest, Sheer Spot Bandages is my go-to anti-nipple chafing technology.  These bandages can be purchased at any CVS and, I'm sure, at any place that has a pharmacy section.  At $2.99 for 100 bandages, this is a spectacular deal.  Here's a description from the CVS website:
Sheer Spot Bandages
From: CVS Pharmacy

Breathable protection for small wounds. Non-stick absorbent pad won't stick to wound for gentle removal. Long lasting adhesive that helps bandage stay on. Sterile. Latex free. Sterile. All one size: 100 - 7/8 inch spots.

What I like about the Sheer Spot Bandages is that they fit right over the nipple without going onto the rest of the chest area.  Furthermore, the non-stick absorbent pad holds onto the skin perfectly on really, really wet runs.  It also comes off extremely easily and without any pain.  To be honest, I sometimes accidentally forget to take it off after a run because I can't even feel it.  So, if you're a hairy dude or dislike ripping something sticky off of your nipple or dislike the feeling of Bodyglide, I recommend trying Sheer Spot Bandages.

Don't be like Andy Bernard. Solve the problem before you have blood on your shirt.



Please comment below and let us know what works for you!

3 comments:

  1. I'm a band-aid guy myself. I haven't tried the spots before since I was worried the smaller contact area would cause them to fall off. I'll give them a shot. I usually have to take the regular band-aids off in the shower because the water helps reduce hair loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I didn't suffer from nipple chaffing until I read this post. I've been incepted! A little petroleum jelly pre-run has solved it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a side note, I notice that Body Glide boasts a "All-natural non-petroleum base." Is there something wrong with petroleum?

    ReplyDelete